Another of my not a best-of lists. Just 11 great books that I feel are worth reading. This is my second List-of-10 that turned into a List-of-11 at the last minute, and it dawned on me that 11 is my favourite number… so why fight it?
What do you think of these books? What are some others that you would suggest?
- East of Eden – John Steinbeck
- Keeper ‘n’ Me – Richard Wagamese
- Water for Elephants – Sara Gruen
- No Great Mischief – Alistair MacLeod
- The Woefield Poultry Collective – Susan Juby
- The Magician’s Elephant – Kate DiCamillo
- The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
- East of the Mountains – David Guterson
- A Student of Weather – Elizabeth Hay
- Consumption – Kevin Patterson
- Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand
I have to say something about that last choice. I am in many ways appalled by Ayn Rand’s philosophy, but some of the core themes in Atlas Shrugged also resonated with me in a big way. It’s definitely worth a read; if it doesn’t leave you conflicted, just read all 645,000 words again!