With the most important federal election in my lifetime taking place in six days — an election that has divided this nation and left almost everyone fearing for one outcome or another — I thought it would be a good time to dust off a partially completed post that I drafted some time ago.
I love my country. I’m not so much a proud Canadian as a fortunate one — I’m more of a wish-there-were-no-borders-because-we’re-all-in-this-together kind of guy — but I do have a special place in my heart for most things Canadian.
Much of the music I love from my home and native land has not really “made it” elsewhere. So I thought I’d share the names of a few great Canadian songs (this is just a list… not a best of). Some of these are under-appreciated tunes from otherwise appreciated artists… nuggets that might lead you to the mother lode of Canadian content. Others are newer artists who are off to great starts. And a few… they’re just classics.
- Hey Rosetta! – Welcome
- Matt Mays – Take it on Faith
- Spirit of the West – Bone of Contention
- Rush – Closer to the Heart
- Half Moon Run – Full Circle
- The Tragically Hip – Country Day
- Ria Mae – Under Your Skin
- Blue Rodeo – Lost Together
- Joel Plaskett – Nowhere With You
- Leonard Cohen – So Long Marianne
- Danny Michel – Who’s Gonna Miss You?
I could easily write 111 more… but these ones came to me randomly, and I wrote them down. Sometimes I just feel like free-form blogging…